Complete (and accurate details) of the new Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i..
Yes, its confirmed now, Bajaj has upgraded the Avenger with its 220 cc engine. Posted below are its complete and accurate details along with its photos.
Those who were expecting some visual changes in the new model will be disappointed. The bike looks nearly identical to the older model. The styling, color, optional wind screen, lights, tyres etc. everything looks the same as the older model.
The changes in the New Avenger 220 DTS-i is actually skin deep.
What's new in the Avenger 220 DTS-i?1. Upgraded Engine:
- 220 cc engine (the older Avenger had a 200 cc engine)
- Max. power of 19.03 Ps @ 8400 rpm (vs. 17.5 Ps @ 8000 rpm of older 200 cc engine)
- Max. torque of 17.5 Nm @ 7000 rpm (vs. 16.78 @ 6000 rpm of older 200 cc engine)
- Bigger Oil Cooler for the 220 cc enigne
- Manual choke (unlike the auto choke on the Pulsar 220 DTS-i)
It means that the new Avenger 220 DTS-i is more powerful and has more grunt than the outgoing model. On paper the new engine seems to be develop more grunt at higher revs. This actually goes against the easy and laidback attitude of a "cruiser".
There is an automotive saying that "there is no replacement for displacement", but it would take a test ride to reveal how this new engine performs on the Avenger.
- DC lighting
Which means like all the other bikes from Bajaj Auto stables, the headlight will provide a flicker free light.
- Intelligent auto shut off headlight
Which means that the headlamps would automatically shut off if the engine is off.. to prevent the battery from accidental drain
- Low battery level indicator
3. Dual foam seat
As the name suggests, the seat is made up of form of varying density. The portion for the rider is made up of softer material and the rear portion of the seat for the pillion is made up of firmer foam . This has been done keeping in mind the comfort for both the rider and pillion.
4. Sealed "O-ring" chain
I am not sure if the older Avenger 200 had sealed O-ring chain, but this new Avenger 220 has got a sealed "O-ring" chain.
Since the Avenger has got a half chain cover, the chain is always exposed to dust. A sealed O-ring chain keeps the chain lubricated for longer periods, and for an exposed chain, its better that it is of the "O-ring" type.
A few incorrect information/speculation about the Avenger 220 DTS-i floating on the net.. here is the correct info
1. The Avenger 220 DTS-i gets "Auto Cancel indicators" like the Pulsar 150/180/220.
Correction: The Avenger gets the normal push to cancel turn indicators switches.
2. The ignition switch of the Avenger 220 DTS-i has been positioned in the center, near the speedometer display.
Correction: As it can be seen in the photo posted below, the ignition switch is still positioned (in the classic cruiser style) below the the felt side of the fuel tank.
Avenger 220 DTS-i Price, Vs. price of the Pulsar 220 S/F
- Avenger 200 DTS-i: Rs. 76,876 (On Road Pune)
- Pulsar 220S DTS-i: Rs. 79,125 (On Road Pune)
- Pulsar 220F DTS-i: Rs. 82,400 (On Road Pune)
The above pricing indicates that the new Avenger 220 DTS-i is about Rs. 3,000 dearer than the older one and still about Rs. 2,000 cheaper than the Pulsar 220S DTS-i.
Avenger 220 DTS-i, Technical SpecificationsSource: BajajAuto Official Website
- Engine : 4 stroke, Single Cylinder, Air cooled with Oil Cooler
- Bore X Stroke : 67.00mm x 62.40mm
- Eng. Displacement : 219.89 cc
- Max. Net Power : 19.03 PS at 8500 rpm
- Max. Net Torque : 17.5 Nm at 7000 rpm
- Transmission : 5 speed (1 down - 4 up pattern)
- Front Tyre : 90/90 x 17
- Rear Tyre : 130/90 x 15
- Front Brake : Disc 260 mm dia
- Rear Brake : Drum 130 mm dia
- Length x Breadth x Height : 2195 mm x 750 mm x 1070 mm
- Wheelbase : 1475 mm
- Min. ground clearance : 169 mm
- Kerb Weight : 154.5 kg
- Fuel Tank Capacity : 14 lts (3.4 lts reserve)
- Colors: Black, Red, Blue and Silver
Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i: Photos
- Review of Bajaj Avenger 200 DTSi [Test Ride/Road Test] : December, 2007
- Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-i "The Fastest Indian": Owner's Review by Gagan
- 2010 Bajaj Pulsar 220-S & F Official Technical Specifications [From owners manual] + Wallpaper
This is to remind that the Views or Opinions in the blog are entirely mine unless explicitly stated. The Views and Opinions published in this blog should in no way be related to any other person or organization associated -- directly or indirectly -- with me.